Monday 23 May 2011

Karl Lagerfeld's Magnum Chocolate Suit

Karl Lagerfeld recently collaborated with Magnum ice cream, one more time, after he shot an ad campaign with Rachel Bilson. And it was good. in fact, were good. Because there are three of them: Art Class, Applause and Mood Photo. You must watch them if you haven't. Baptiste Giabiconi is so undoubtedly worth being Karl's muse.


Not by chance I talk about Baptiste, who also starred in Lagerfeld's The Tale of a Fairy, which debuted during his Cruise 2011/12 show. This French model played a very important role in the creating the chocolate suit.


Lagerfeld's 'Chocolate Suite' has been created to celebrate the launch of Magnum Ecuador and Ghana, the first Magnum ice creams to be made with specially selected cocoa beans sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified farms in Ecuador and Ghana.

Karl Lagerfeld has designed a hotel suite made entirely out of chocolate (yes, just like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). Everything is made out of dark and light chocolate. Bed, walls, blanket and pillows (with laces), furniture - everything that's there. Firstly you might think you see a beautiful alive man. But in fact, that's just the chocolate version of real - yes, Baptiste Giabiconi, mentioned above.

The imaginary chocolate suite was brought to life by Patrick Roger, master chocolatier and chocolate sculptor. To create the suit, they spent 400 hours and 10,5 tonnes of Belgian chocolate.


Lagerfeld stated: "It has been an absolute pleasure to design the Magnum Chocolate Suite. My idea was to flirt with a mix of modern and traditional French influences to create something remarkable". But Kaiser won't try his masterpiece, not a single gram: "My doctor told me that sugar wasn't needed for me so I haven't touched it in ten years. I like chocolate. I don't eat it, but I like the smell of it. People can drink with their eyes; I can eat with my nose. I would love to have a perfume based on chocolate."

You can see the process of creating the suite and Karl's commentaries about the whole idea in Karl Lagerfeld & Magnum video.

Here are the photos of the Chocolate Suite. Enjoy yourselves.















Remarkable. As he wanted. I adore Karl.

Tatler Asia

No comments:

Post a Comment